Glenahulla National School
School Tours/Excursions Policy
Reviewed & Ratified by the B.O.M. of Glenahulla N.S.
Taking into account the age and interests of the children and the curriculum being covered, school tours will be arranged by the school to present the children with a new environment in which they can observe, investigate and relate their findings to their own environment.
Tours will be arranged at the discretion of the school staff.
The transport organiser of the tour will ensure that:
- Tenders are sought for all tours.
- A form of transport, appropriate to the distance and the numbers travelling will be chosen.
- The bus will leave at the designated departure time from the school and return to the school.
- Children will only be collected and picked up from school.
- Latecomers will not be accommodated
The bus company/suppliers and drivers accept the following conditions:
Conditions of Hiring
All transport supplied, will be suitable and well maintained. Teachers have the
right to refuse any bus they find unsuitable for their outing. If the bus proves
unsuitable a replacement will be supplied or the money refunded.
The driver will be used to dealing with children and have a thorough knowledge
of and follow the itinerary and timetable for the tour. The driver is responsible for
the safety of the children while they are travelling, but the teachers have the right
to intervene if it is felt that the safety of the children is compromised.
- The group will have access to the bus for the full duration of trip – full day / part of day as required
- If the weather conditions are unfavourable the group will have the use of the bus for sheltering or for eating lunch.
- The consumption of food(snacking) and singing on the bus – at an acceptable level – will be at the discretion of the teacher in consultation with the driver.
- Buses will be left as they were found.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate children with SEN. Parents may be asked to assist on the school tour and drive if required.
The teachers will ensure that the cost of the tour is reasonable and represents value for money. All children will be actively encouraged to save towards the cost of the tour.
Teachers will agree and notify their class of the upper limit on spending money.
This will be based on age and venue.
Suncream and hats to be worn.
Rain gear will be essential for all children and a change of clothes may be necessary, depending on the venue.
The school tracksuit is to be worn on all tours.
See mobile phones poilicy
Where problems arise either with venue or transport, teachers will report back to the tour organiser who will in turn discuss it with the Principal.
Conduct on Tours
Pupils’ behaviour on tours will comply with the standard set down in the Schools Code of Behaviour. In certain circumstances parents may be asked to agree to a contract on behaviour. Where it is felt that a child’s conduct would pose a safety risk or inhibit the educational benefit of self or others, the teacher may refuse the child permission to travel. Parents will be advised of this in advance.
Safety and Supervision
Teachers will be extra vigilant when taking children out of the school. Special attention will be paid to – Road safety, behaviour on bus, risks posed by particular venues (eg. Adventure playgrounds etc.). The minimum supervision ratio will be 15:1 (children:adult).
Teachers will ensure that Parents are given sufficient notice of;
- Itinerary & Timetable
- Special clothing necessary and packed lunch. (No glassware)
Ratification & Communication
- Ratified by the Board of Management.
- Copy to The Parents Association.
- Copy available to parents on request.
- Immediate and ongoing.
- Annually or as need be.