Glenahulla National School
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE STRATEGY
Reviewed & Ratified by the B.O.M. of Glenahulla N.S.
This policy was drawn up as a response to D.E.S. regulations regarding school attendance, as per the Education Welfare Act 2000.
The following strategies have been put in place to help foster an appreciation of learning and good attendance:
- Rewards in accordance with the Code of Behaviour.
- At the end of the school year, the school issues certificates of Good Attendance.
- As stated in the Code of Behaviour parents are expected to notify the teacher of the reason for a child’s absence within three days of the child’s return. The teacher notes the reason for the absence.
- Identification of students who are at risk of developing school attendance problems. These are categorised as follows:
- Irregular Absentee: 2/5 days absent in a 20-day period without a valid reason.
- Seriously Irregular Absentee: 6/10 days absent in a 20-day period without a valid reason.
- Chronic Absentee: 11+ days absent in a 20-day period without a valid reason.
- Appropriate contact will take place between the school and parents/guardians of these children:
- For Irregular Absentees the Deputy Principal will contact the parents/guardians to inform them of her/his concerns about the child.
- For Seriously Irregular Absentees the Deputy Principal will contact parents inviting them to a meeting to discuss the problem.
- For Chronic Absentees the Deputy Principal will inform the Education Welfare Officer and notify parents of this by letter.
- Attendance, behaviour and academic records of children who transfer to another primary school will be passed to the Principal of the school as soon as we receive written notification of transfer.
- Attendance, behaviour and academic records of children who transfer into Glenahulla N.S. will be sought directly from the previous school.
- Attendance, behaviour and Academic records of pupils transferring to Secondary School will be sent to the school once enrolment has been confirmed.
Ratification & Communication
- Ratified by the Board of Management
- Copy to The Parents Association
- Copy available to parents on request
- Immediate & Ongoing
- 2023 or as need be
Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;22.1 Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;20.5
Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;20.3 Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;20.5
Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;21.4 Education (Welfare) Act 2000: III;22.5
“Empty Desks”, C.D.U. Mary Immaculate College